Sunday 10 August 2014

Stalemate between two 10 year olds.

I recently had the honor of taking charge of my nieces and nephew for a week. This involved dropping picking them up from school and doing homework on a regular basis. My 10 year old niece is Sidney, 6 year old niece named Joan and 3 year old nephew called Darrel.  It was an interesting experience mixed with its own challenges such as reviewing SST homework on Mt. Nur and pillars Islam to Lowest Common Multiples the famous LCM that we all once learnt as I earlier mentioned. However, there was this time while home with them after homework when their friends came over to play for an hour before dinner.

It was a typical evening of watching some cartoons as the socialized and I must admit I had zoned out to a classic episode of Tom & Jerry but for this conversation. Mable is my oldest niece Sidney’s playmate and classmates of Kampala Parents and both of them had midyear exams that day. Check out how children of these days dual over academics I do not remember it being this hairy in our day.

Mable: “How was the exam?” she asked mockingly.

Sidney: “It was simple,” she retorted as she shook her head and crossed her arms.

Mable: “What are you getting in Math?”

Sidney: “94% and above of course, let’s put money where our mouths are.”

Mable: “I am not scared.”

Sidney: “Of course you are.”

Mable: “I bet you 5 million,” she yelled as she stormed out of the house as if for better effect.”

Sidney: “Bring it on,” said my niece as she stomped her feet.

I could not help but laugh at how much things had changed since we were young. In our day and time we would be betting on our break money of 200 shillings or the 2 buttered slices of bread for break. Now here were these 10 year old's betting 5 million shilling which neither of them even had so I waited to see how this would pan out in the coming week. But I guess I gave these little ones too much credit because less than 2 minutes after this stance, Mable came back waltzing in with a chit in her hand as she stood at the door.

Mable: “Here is the 5 million, it’s on the table,” she said as she threw the irregularly cut piece of paper with 5 million written on it in blue pen ink.

Sidney: “This is not money, it is a piece of paper!” she shouted as she turned in the direction of doorway where Mable once stood only seconds before.


Only now she was half way home since she had taken off for s she was in no way going to honor the bet and Sidney hotly pursued her to no avail only to come back sulking. This scene reminded me of those mafia movies that had been adapted to suit these 10 year old's need. I figured it must be owing to the change in times or watching too much television DSTV - to be exact. 

Well whichever way you look at it, kids in this present day and age are growing up way too fast.

3 comments:

Kennedy Odokonyero said...

hmmmn interesting story....hhaha may be because money has lost value that's why the kids now bet on 5m

Unknown said...

hahahahahahaaaaaaa......................this just made my night.... wow! 5 million i hear, i bet none can count up 100,000 Ushs let alone, 50,000.... eeeh! but u gotta give it to the dot com generation they have been born in... kids no longer enjoy their childhood as we did. imagine here kids learn to use phones, computers and any other electronic gadget at a very tender age... they are forced to go outside where as in our days we were being forced to stay indoors let alone to stay put. Games have now been turned into extra curricular activities in school whereby the participants are awarded marks as part of their final grade, yet in our days, P.E was a moment too short for one to derive enuf pleasure and more emphasis was laid on concentrating on yo studies..... heheheheee.... i am so happy that i had an opportunity to have childish arguments where the biggest bet was losing yo lunch break or rather yo free day of not doing the dishes..... indeed 5 million bets be so far gone from my being! hihihihihiiiiii......

Joyce Ochwo said...

Yes Children are indeed a treasure and I am glad that you both enjoyed this blog post. I am even prouder that I have given you a moment of happiness to reminisce of the good times you had as children.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and I hope you subscribe.

Oasis to the whisper in the wild

Husband: “Hello, how may I assist you, man? But you had better make this brief because I am on my honeymoon.”   Flashback to the begin...