Monday 7 April 2014

The shop attendant who did not know a leotard.

On a random Saturday while looking for a gift for a near and dear friend of mine I was amazed at the level of laxity with which Ugandans do business in this country. I respect business people and defend anyone who wants to go that route and not take on the 8am-5pm job. But this shopping spree was very unusual as you will see below;

Shop 1

Me: “Hello I would like to buy a cute blouse for someone a size bigger than me.”

Female Attendant: Okay, the person is not here.”

Me: “No, but I know their size and I will try on whatever catches my eye and is a bit big for me.”

Female Attendant: “Okay!”

At this point I assumed that this attendant would come over to assist me or point me in the right direction, but I received a rude awakening.

Female Attendant: “There, let me come.”

Me: “Alright!” I wondered what – there meant as I browsed around for anything interesting but to be honest with you as soon as those words escaped her lips and she walked out my perception of that store changed and it was not long before I walked out.”

Shop 2
Me: “Hello!” (As I peered through the window from the road side into the open store from which a colorful blouse caught my eye)

However, after a minute of calling and waiting outside I was sure that the owner did not hear me so I went inside to get some assistance so that I could get the piece from the window display. Much to my surprise when I went up the stairs and into the store I did not catch sight of anyone in the store so as I prepared to turn around and walk away I heard a sigh coming from right below me as a figure rolled over. The store attendant was a few inches in front of me lying on the ground, out like a light – in a deep sleep, I could not believe my eyes. I stayed there for a few more minutes and then walked out but could not help but wonder how many pieces I could have picked and walked away with while she had her mid afternoon siesta.

Shop 3
Me: “Hello, do you have any tops in a size bigger than mine.”

Male Attendant: “Ahhh!” He slowly stood up as he looked around as if to browse through his stock that he should already be fully appraised with but no word escaped his lips.

Me: “Never mind, let me browse through and see if I find anything I like.”

Male Attendant: “Okay!” (He said this as he slowly sat down almost in relief)

I walked to the back of the store browsing through everything and when I got to the extreme back I realized I needed clarification on some pricing. So when I found a young lady in her mid-twenties comfortably sleeping on a heap of jackets and coats I assumed she would be the best person to ask as opposed to walking back to the front.

Me: “Hello I almost did not see you there.” (She shot up from her sleeping position and sat up to face me.) “Do you know how much these 2 items cost?”

Female: “No I do not, I do not work here.”

Me: “Oh sorry to disturb you then, my apologies for t hat mistake.”

Female: “….” (There was no response from her but she eyed me in a contemptuous manner from then on until I left the store)

After a couple of minutes as I was heading to the counter with my 2 interesting finds that I needed  pricing for, a middle aged lady entered the store and cut right in front of me.

Middle aged lady: “Hi, how are you?”

Male Attendant: “I am fine; it has been a while since you were in the store.”

Middle aged lady: “Yes, yes I have not had much time. I was wondering do you have leotards?”

Male Attendant: “Ahh….” (There was silence)

Never in my life have I ever see a man so flushed and unsettled as he looked around his store back and forth with no response for close to a minute. I could not help but grin a little as I noticed this fellah had no idea what this woman was asking for. So after letting him squirm for a bit, I faced the lady at the counter and responded.
Me: “Try that middle section with the spaghetti tops.” (She walked away from both of us with no appreciation whatsoever.)

Male Attendant: “Thanks, I had no idea what that was. What is that exactly?” (He whispered to me as he leaned forward so as not for her to hear him.)

Me: “It is pretty hard to explain I simply have to find one to show you.” I walked to the aisle and pulled out one to show him.”

Male Attendant: “Ohhh, why do they have to use such hard names?”

Me: “That is what they are called.” (I responded with a smile but wondered what type of owner would put such a clueless lad in a clothing store that carried women’s clothing)

That day it seemed that there was no business owner who was out to make money and that is why our brothers from Kenya are going to make a killing when all aspects of the East African Community are fully operational. Ugandans wake up!

11 comments:

simplycarole said...

Lol@ why do they have such complicated names!!! Some Ugandan business owners really do need too style up

Joyce Ochwo said...

Yes they do.

SimonLubambo said...

Shopping around town for clothes is just discouraging, after poor customer care follows high prices and endless haggling

Joyce Ochwo said...

Yes Simon, Ugandans really need to wake up and stop complaining that our Kenyan counterparts are taking over. If they are better at doing business - why not.

Becks said...

Leo-what?
Ha ha ha. Its true, our business sense is lacking, Kenyans massacre us in this field.
As for our customer care RIP

Becks said...

Leo - what?!!!
Ha ha ha....... But its true, Ugandans business sense is lacking. Kenyans however know what they want and as for our customer care services, RIP

Joyce Ochwo said...

I agree Becks, we really need to sort this out ASAP.

Unknown said...

this is so serious. wow! wat a day you had my dear but thank GOD for the experience you had for you were able to write about it and hopefully some business owner who was wondering why the business was flailing might pick a leaf from this and be able to save his or her business. as for the east african confederation, i really do hope that our country gets to pick up pace and be ready for the challanges that we'll be facing. anywho like i suggested before, we need a 1 month course in customer care training and etiquette, that way it will be part of the qualifications needed for one to be a shop attendant, receptionist and any other field that involves one on one interactions with customers or clients. we need divine intervention for our country.

Joyce Ochwo said...

I agree with you Ramlah but some habits die hard and a lot more than training will be required.As Ugandans we really do need to wake up.

Unknown said...

i think we should start putting up some seminars on interactions between business owners and their clients coz this a major throwback when it comes to business development. coz when i was working in a call center we had seminars on ohone etiquette, how to interact with the person on the other end, how to keep them interested in wateva u were selling and how to listen... basically the DO's and DON'TS of customer relation.

Joyce Ochwo said...

These seminars would have surely been helpful.
Thanks for taking the time to read and please remember to subscribe.

Oasis to the whisper in the wild

Husband: “Hello, how may I assist you, man? But you had better make this brief because I am on my honeymoon.”   Flashback to the begin...