Wednesday 12 March 2014

Long hair or no hair.



I often thought that the more an individual was educated that the rate of his idiotic utterances would gravely decline, however it seems to be the contrary. 

As you all know  I recently cut my hair short after 8 years and have been privy a great deal of banter from the general public but never did I expect the same kind of ridicule from any of my educated peers.

Colleague: (pulls me aside away from everyone) “Joyce, I always wanted to ask you from the first time I saw you walk into the room.”


Me: “Why?”                             
                              
Colleague: “Your hair.”

Me: “What about my hair?”

Colleague: “I mean its short, why would you cut off all your hair? I mean look at all the ladies in this room with their long hair. Or did you want to stand out.”

Me: “Because I wanted to and I needed a break from it.”

Colleague: “Break! But hair is the crowning glory of a woman it is what makes a woman come to life.”

Me: “There is more to a woman than just her hair look at it from that point of view.”

Colleague: “So why did you really cut your hair?”

Me: “Because I needed to let myself breathe from all the strain of chemicals, 3 - 4 hour long plaiting and un-plaiting sessions. Oh and my hair was long shoulder length and thick so I would spend an extra hour in the dryer. Did you know that we literally pay people to inflict pain on us to look good?”

Colleague: (A grin crossed his lips) “Okay but at least you look good in the process.”
Me: “Oh so why do you keep your hair short?”

Colleague: “In my case when my hair grows long it browns and is curly and uncontrollable.”

Me: “When it is long it is thick and nice and pretty awesome but don’t I get to choose whether or not I keep my hair short as well.”

Colleague: “Yes but women are supposed to have long hair.”

Me: “Where is that written down as law, a woman should not keep her hair sort, yada yada yada …….. that is not a reason. I mean older women for instance cut their hair as they grow older to look younger. That is a reason.”

Colleague: “Oh so is that it, do you want to look younger?"

Me: “I have no need to look young.”

Colleague: “Oh so is that you want to stand out or no you want attention.”

I did not response I simply smiled and walked away because I had to stop myself from speaking my mind and do not worry it would not have been anything pleasant.






16 comments:

Anonymous said...

College or Colleague

Joyce Ochwo said...

Thanks Anonymous you really should leave a name.

Unknown said...

Dear annonymous,wea did college come in,in this conversation? Any way Jowi,speaking of yo colleague,I am so maaadd....I cld hv given him a tongue thrashing he wld never speak idiotic nonsense ever again.... by any chance do I know this rather educated lumpen? Coz seriously u wld expect our dear bodaboda men nd taxi guys to behave as such.....anyway u can take a man from the vilage but u can't remove the village from him.... as if its a federal offence to cut off one's hair... long hair can be tiresome..... so,every once in awhile it wld be good to free the head from all that stress esp the pain nd exposure to chemicals nd heat.....

Unknown said...

Interesting hairy conversation...

Joyce Ochwo said...

Thanks Ramlah, Anonymus was kind enough to alert me to the fact that i had posted content that i was still editing for the blog. No you do not know this individual, he is in my class that should be a hint. Mugabe thanks for the feedback i always look forward to it. Enjoy the rest of my posts.

simplycarole said...

That guy just needs to be assured. Since when do women need to make excuses for their hair style choices?

Anonymous said...

Hehehehehe interesting! does that person know how sisters look good, confident with natural or short hair? he has no clue. Thanks for being confident about your decision, another chic would have rushed to the saloon to paint it green or red or even glue some Chinese hair hihihi

Anonymous said...

Ave said:

Hmmmm... I have had the very same conversations...

You look good but then why did you cut your hair... ????

People do not know what they want...

Akiteng said...

My hair is a political statement. I cut it and all its admirers lamented . i had my freedom and now i am exploring dreads. Curly black natural hair all the way

Joyce Ochwo said...

Thank you Isabella, Ave and Anonymous for your feedback. Isabella i believe everyone has a right to utilize every aspect of their being to live a more fulfilled life whether it be for advocacy or functionality and you do not need an excuse or explanation to do that.

Unknown said...

True dat, true dat....I wld love to cut my hair or do watever I want to do wit it nd nt hv to worry abt explaining myself to anybody....

Joyce Ochwo said...

Here here Ramlah.

Anonymous said...

EH! the author of this article does stand out. and its not because of her hair..which is cool.. very cool.

classmate who listened stealthily to this conversation

Anonymous said...

JOYCE U DO STAND OUT, AND IT AINT COZ OF YOUR COOL HAIRSTYLE.

YOURS, CLASSMATE WHO JOINED CONVERSATION AS JOYCE WAS MOVING AWAY

Joyce Ochwo said...

Thank you Anonymous classmate, i am greatly humbled and profusely honored.

Anonymous said...

Joyce and Anonymous classmate....
Aayway, I think it is only polite to let someone have the hairstyle that they want to have, no matter for what reason;

Joyse, whether it was for standing our, looking younger, the salon stress, or any other reason, I think you have every right to keep your hair the smart way you like. You look good with both short and long hair; don't let them stress you.( simply Jaqi Jaqi's idea)

Oasis to the whisper in the wild

Husband: “Hello, how may I assist you, man? But you had better make this brief because I am on my honeymoon.”   Flashback to the begin...